Types of forum
Forums might be an important and assessed part of your module, or they might be optional. They vary in their aims, and some specialise in one type of activity. Be guided by the forum name, and any description of forum aims posted by the person in charge.
You might be involved with
- forums for a small group project
- forums that's open to everyone on your module and has hundreds of contributors
- discussions with a hundred people
- technical support forums with thousands of people
- tutor-group forums where you keep in touch with just a few people
- forums for discussing hobbies which is open to all OU students
- self-help groups where just a few students keep in touch.
In charge of the forum there might be
- tutor, posting news and comments to the group
- moderator, encouraging discussion
- someone responding to queries, or just watching out for problems.